UK screen agencies location support
The UK screen agencies can provide information about filming in England, Northern Ireland, Scotland and Wales to film and television companies. Some regions handle enquiries in-house, others provide assistance through external organisations.
Most of the screen agencies can help with:
- Location finding and negotiations with location owners
- Useful local contacts – including the police and local authorities
- Local information – crew contacts, production facilities, accommodation and other useful support
Location managers and scouts
Given the wealth of locations available in the UK, we advise international productions to use an experienced UK location manager or scout.
A location scout, usually employed for a fixed period during pre-production, will advise on suitable locations and arrange location visits and reports.
A location manager will offer scouting services, but also handle contracts and fees. Most location managers work with the crew throughout production, providing useful advice on local issues and local resources.
Find a location manager
You can find a location manager in several ways:
- Contact the British Film Commission, The Guild of Location Managers or The Production Guild of Great Britain.
- Use a directory – for example:
You can find out about possible locations in the UK by using a location library or location-finding company. Some offer UK-wide services, others specialise in particular areas or types of location. Fees are usually based on locations used rather than recommended.
It is advised to make an appointment before visiting a location library.
Location libraries are listed in film directories such as: