Stirling Castle and Wallace Monument, Stirling courtesy of Creative Scotland

National agencies

A number of national agencies manage properties that are available as film locations. The leading ones are listed below:

National Trust

Responsible for large areas of countryside, coastline, buildings and gardens in England, Northern Ireland and Wales. The NT publishes a filming guide and offers a database for location managers.

Web: National Trust


National Trust for Scotland

Web: National Trust for Scotland


Royal Parks

Manages several landmark parks in London, including Hyde Park, Regent’s Park, St James’s Park and Green Park. A license is required to film on Royal Parks land and they require several days notice of intention to film. License fees vary and must be paid in advance.

Web: Royal Parks


English Heritage

Responsible for the care of more than 400 historic buildings and sites including castles, monuments and palaces.

Filming requests are dealt with on an individual basis.



Ministry of Defence

The MOD is one of the UK’s largest landowners with a 250,000 hectare estate including over 4000 built and rural sites, including barracks, bunkers, naval bases, historic buildings and many areas of outstanding natural beauty.

Web: Ministry of Defence’s online location library


Forestry Commission

Owns or manages over one million hectares of forests and woodlands in England, Scotland and Wales. The agency can offer every type of woodland and forest setting and also looks after many old buildings, bridges, quarries, rockfaces, rivers, lochs, ponds and open spaces.

Web: Forestry Commission


There are more than 2,000 miles (3,220 km) of canals and rivers in England, Scotland and Wales available for filming.

Canal & River Trust (for England and Wales)

Web: Canal & River Trust

The Trust owns and manages 2,000 miles of historic canals, rivers, docks and reservoirs in England and Wales.  Amongst the largest charities in the UK, the Trust maintains the nation’s third largest collection of listed structures, as well as museums, archives, navigations and hundreds of important wildlife sites.


Scottish Canals

Web: Scottish Canals

Filming requests for Scottish Canals.



Cadw is the Welsh Assembly Government’s historic environment division and deals with historic buildings, ancient monuments, historic parks, gardens and landscapes, and underwater archaeology in Wales.

Web: Cadw